POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : pov 4 sun : Re: pov 4 sun Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:18:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: pov 4 sun
From: Dennis Clarke
Date: 10 Apr 2001 12:53:39
Message: <3AD33A96.4A68D1FF@interlog.com>
Wlodzimierz ABX Skiba wrote:

> I've got Sun Ultra Enterprse 450 with Solaris for one month test. I have to test
> my company software on this machine. I want install on it POV-Ray and MegaPOV
> and need/configure enviroment for writing scripts. Can anybody point me/help me
> anything ? I have no time to play with it just for fun and check different
> solutions. Remember that I'm complatly new in this environment.
>
> ABX

I use Sun Solaris as my primary workstation so I can help you with this.
First you will need to get a recent copy of Pov-Ray and the binaries on the
Pov-Ray site are grossly out of date with no hope of that changing.  God only
knows why.  Just send me an email and I'll send you the compressed tarball for
Sun Solaris.  The version that I'll send you is Pov-Ray 3.1g and it works just
fine with no changes made by me.  The E450 that you speak of is probably a
fine machine but don't expect blazing performance.  You need a multi-cpu
system for that and the E450 can have only four cpus, that's nothing to write
home to mom about.

Anyway, just send me an email and I'll give you a hand with setup and
testing.  That includes the E450 system as well if you need a hand with that.

TTYL

Dennis Clarke
Solaris Admin
Pov-Ray fan